Licenciado en Filosofía y Letras (Inglés) y Doctor en Filología Inglesa por la Universidad de Salamanca.
LÍNEAS DE INVESTIGACIÓN
Dr. Jesús Benito teaches American literature and culture at Universidad de Valladolid. Formerly he taught literary theory and English and American literature at the Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha for fourteen years. His main field of research is the so-called ethnic American literatures, which he approaches from a comparative perspective, focusing on interethnic cutural analysis, as well as on transnational perspectives. He is General Editor of the Brill series "Critical Approaches to Ethnic American Literature". He is also Director of a long-stablished research team working on comparatist analyses of the different ethnic literatures in the United States. He has served in the executive of different academic associations of English and American studies, including EAAS, SAAS and AEDEAN, and now coordinates the Masters Program in Advanced English Studies and the Doctoral Program in English Studies at the Universidad de Valladolid. Currently his main area of research is the poetics and politics of hospitality in the United States.
Main areas of research
- Literature and Ethnicity in the US: African American, Chicano, Asian American, Native American Literatures.
- Comparative approaches to American literature.
- The places and spaces of American culture/literature
- Magical Realism in American Literature.
- Hospitality and Migration in American Literature.
PROYECTOS DE INVESTIGACIÓN (I+D dirigidos)
- A Critical History of Ethnic American Literature: An Intercultural Approach (V) MINECO, 2016-2018, Ref. FFI2015-64137-P
- A Critical History of Ethnic American Literature: An Intercultural Approach (IV) MINECO, 2013-2015, Ref. FFI2012-31250
- A Critical History of Ethnic American Literature: An Intercultural Approach (III) MICINN, 2010-2012, Ref. FFI2009-07450
- A Critical History of Ethnic American Literature: An Intercultural Approach (II) MEC, 2006-2009, Ref. HUM2006-04919/FILO
- A Critical History of Ethnic American Literature: An Intercultural Approach (I), MEC, 2003-2006, Ref. BFF2003-07004
- Estudio de la Literatura Etnica en los Estados Unidos y el Caribe, MCYT, 1997-2000, Ref. PB96-0531
- Ana María Manzanas y Jesús Benito. Hospitality in American Literature and Culture: Spaces, Bodies, Borders. New York: Routledge, 2016.
- Ana María Manzanas y Jesús Benito. Occupying Space in American Literature and Culture: Static Heroes, Social Movements and Empowerment. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Jesús Benito, "Hospitality Across the Atlantic: American Guests and the International Space of Flows in Spielberg\'s The Terminal and Frears\'s Dirty Pretty Things." In R. Davis, The Transnationalism of American Culture: Literature, Film, and Music. pp. 205 - 220. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- Ana María Manzanas and Jesús Benito. Cities, Borders, and Spaces in Intercultural American Literature and Film. New York: Routledge, 2011.
- Jesús Benito; Ana Mª Manzanas; Begoña Simal. Uncertain Mirrors: Magical Realisms in Ethnic American Literatures. Amsterdam & Nueva York: Rodopi, 2009.
- Jesús Benito; Ana Mª Manzanas. Intercultural Mediations: Mimesis and Hybridity in American Literature. Berlín: Lit Verlag, 2003.